5 TIPS TO MANAGE TYPE 2 DIABETES
America is under siege by an epidemic called Diabetes Type 2. Take a look at these statistics as reported by the American diabetes association. Then we will look into how you can Manage Type 2 Diabetes.
- 23.6 million Americans have diabetes
- 57 million Americans are pre-diabetic
- 1.6 million new cases of diabetes are reported each year
- For those over age 60, almost 1 in 4 have diabetes
- Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death
- Diabetes increases heart attack risk and 68% of diabetes-related death certificates report heart-related problems
- 75% of adults with diabetes will develop high blood pressure
- Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness, kidney failure, and nervous system disorders
- Diabetes costs more than $174 billion annually
Keep in mind there is a difference between Type 1 and 2 Diabetes. This article is specifically dealing with Type 2 Diabetes and ways to help you manage it. For many who have been diagnosed with Diabetes, it comes as quite a shock. A few pounds here and maybe a couple years of doctors asking them nicely to eat healthier. Then one day out of nowhere, they have this Diagnosis looming over them with no real idea of what to do.
Here are 5 tips for you or your loved one to help Manage Type 2 Diabetes but first…
YOUR LIFESTYLE WILL HAVE TO CHANGE HOWEVER, YOUR LIFE IS NOT OVER!
Diabetes Type 2 is hard to deal with, things will have to change and its most likely going to be pretty tough for you. However, your life is far from over! A great number of cases can be treated very well and sometimes even reversed in the sense of getting off medication. Below you will find 5 tips to help you manage your Diabetes better.
- Get Insulin Under Control– Diabetes is triggered by insulin resistance and regaining proper insulin sensitivity will be key in your fight against Diabetes. Limit consumption of sugars, grains and processed carbohydrates and focus on healthy proteins, fats, and green veggies.
- Exercise– Very few things are agreed upon in the medical and nutrition world, exercise is one of them! Exercise increases the muscle’s ability to use insulin and over time can help reduce insulin resistance. Specifically, H.I.T type workouts are the best for Diabetic control. High-Intensity Training is a shorter term interval training method that ramps of the heart rate, builds muscle and helps with weight loss. 30-45 minutes a day of training can make a huge difference!
- Weight Loss– Obesity and Diabetes are often thought of in a hand in hand manner, and while the debate still rages on if one causes the other, losing weight can help mitigate diabetes.
- Reduce Stress– Stress raises cortisol and can lead to hormone imbalance, insulin issues and increases the risk for certain types of disease. Work to reduce your sources of stress from lack of sleep, exposure to toxins, mental and emotional sources and poor diet. Studies show that getting quality sleep every night reduce stress levels.
- Supplement– Supplements can help your body heal from diabetes, especially while your body works to gain proper insulin reactions again. Supplements often associated with helping diabetes symptoms and improving the disease are cinnamon, omega-3 fatty acids, alpha lipoic acid, chromium, coenzyme Q10, garlic, and magnesium
At Edge Fitness we have years of experience helping people overcome their struggle with Diabetes Type 2. We would love to see you in the gym!